Friday, July 29, 2011

What we did while mom was gone!

Ok so lets get something out of the table before I begin this post. This is my first blog post so please be patient with me and second forgive me because I didn't do too hot with regards to all the picture taking. This is why I leave that part up to the historian/photographer of the family "Amy"


I know you all love to hear about the conger's and all the fun and exciting things we love to do with our lives mostly told from the perspective of my wify but today you going to get a break from her and will be privilaged to hear from here super mega foxy hot husband j/k.


As many of you know recently Amy headed off to girls camp for a week and left me to tend for our two little ladies all by myself. Lucky I saw this coming but man am I glad it's over. Really in all reality it was not too bad, actually I had a really good time. I asked for time off from work, and well I deserved it since I have accumilated 5 weeks of paid vacation this year with the company I am working with. So lets just say I was happy to take the week off and let the wife go to camp and get eaten alive by the bugs of Iowa (by the way we went camping and did not get bitten once, didn't even have to put bug spray on :) "Love You Amy" Now having said all that, I did not fully realize however the repercussions of such a chivalrous gesture, I never new how much my wife really did around the conger castle until I was put in charge of the said castle myself. All the daily meals and the picking up of everything atleast 3 times throughout the day, the "million" diaper changes that occured I swear every 10 minutes of the day "who does that" my girls thats who WOW!!!



Me being the spontaneous person that I am (ask the wify she can attest to this) your probally wondering what then did we do while she was gone and whether our household fell apart by weeks end. I am here to tell you that this was a week full of nothing but fun for me with my little ladies, time to do whatever we wanted and thats just what we did!




The first day was gone we got up at 7:30am (to all of you who dont know, thats sleeping in, in this house) we ate breakfast (an ordeal in itself) and I got the girls dressed and I asked what they wanted to do, Lily said play with the animals, so I took that as, lets go do two of our favorit things, the Science Center and then the Zoo... We Had A Blast (Sorry like I said I dont remember to take pics, thats what I have the wife for, she is good at that kind of stuff "remembering" but I did get atleast one picture, Ellie putting on a show for me.





The next day was of course my kiddos 3rd birthday. To celebrate we did the only thing imagenary we made cake and had it for both lunch and dinner YUM! Dont worry we had lots left over and saved 3/4's of it for when mom came home at the end of the week. All day we kept talking about it being the girls birthday, they were so excited all day. We decided to go out and do a little shopping you know hit up all the favorits, toys r us, walmart (toy section of course) and after a couple hours of doing all the fun shopping for the birthday girls I asked the girls what they wanted to do since it was their birthdays, sure enough Ellie jumped right in and said please go too swing (translation = playground) so we did that for a bit and then I was pooped, so we headed home and took some much needed naps. Normally you would think that was a busy enough day, nope that was just the begining. All week the girls knew that mom was gone camping (Conger girls love camping) we've gone a few times with our girls and they love every minute of it. So what did we do, we packed the van up after nap time, we stopped and got food and we headed out to find a place for me and my girls to go camping (Yes just me and my little peeps) we sure had a blast.


The next several pics are of us enjoying the good life of camping, we did a lot of fun things 90% of which consisted of playing at the campground playground but my girls were fantastic, a lot better than I imagined it would be on my own.







Some pics of our campsite, the girls did a really good job helping me find lots of firewood and setting up there chairs around the camp fire :)




Man those are two really cute/dirty girls!





Just chillin...





The next morning after having a great night camping (everything except the dogs waking us up at the crack of dawn and my kids wanting to run out and see what was going on and not taking no for an answer, we were up really early friday morning) We made a fire, ate breakfast and then sure enough the girls ran off to the playground that was close by the camp site, they made some new friends (lifers right, since we will probably see them again) Then after all the playing at the playground a dad could handle we came back to camp and decided (I decided, kids had no say) we were going to go on a hike, we would hike to the reservoir (the first major hike of the girls life) we hiked through the woods for about 1/2 a mile and hit the water, we threw rocks and just played around for a bit, it was fun, the girls loved it, but then sure enough we had to hike back and about half way back through the thick greenery I was carrying both of the little ladies whom I love. All and all I think we had a fantastic birthday camp trip.

The girls on the hike!





After packing up and heading home on friday we just kind of took it easy the rest of that day, well besides the "million" diapers changed and keeping up on the household duties required to maintain the Conger Castle, I was pooped for the day so we just chilled at home the rest of the day.

Last day (Saturday) so all week the girls have been going around asking me "when do we open presents" "can I open my present yet" etc. I keep telling them it's a suprise and that we would be opening your presents soon. I kind of regret this choice in logic, now several weeks later they are constantly singing happy birthday to eachother and too me and the wify, and its kind of growing old. I know they will definetly know and be ready for 4th birthday next year, thats for sure.


So I know that it was important for the girls to have a good birthday and I also knew that Amy was pretty bumbed that she was gone on the girls 3rd birthday so I decided to suprise both her and the girls on the saturday she was due to arive back at the Conger household. So I waited till the girls went down for their naps and I went to work not knowing when the wify would actually be getting home. I wrapped all the presents, I decorated the livingroom and redecorated the cake, the first pic is the original cake, the second picture is the cake after we ate most of the back side and redecorated it and put the candles on for a second time for the suprise when Amy came home. I decorated the place with a "Tangled" theme (Lilly & Ellie chose the decoration at the party store). Just as I was finishing up and wrapping and getting everything ready I started to plop myself down infront of my saturday dose of golf on tv when the wify walked in not kidding like 15 minutes later (perfect timing right) and she was so excited that I had not opened all the presents before she had come home. When the girls got up they came down stairs to all the decroations and I tell you they were so excited, it wasnt even the presents we almost had to force them to open them it was all the balloons they loved those things and I had a good 3o+ balloons. Anyhow so all the pics below are of the second celibration of the girls 3rd birthday (I know you gotta love my mad picture taking skills right)

Some of the few gifts I bought them...




Cake thats a 1/4 eaten in the rear...





Some of the decorations and presents wrapped and unrapped...





Lily lovin her some balloons...





Finally unwrapping the presents...





Some of the gifts received...





New drawing dry erase board/chalk board...





I want to thank all of our family and friends for all the gifts, birthday cards and money received this year, my girls were definately spoiled, so thank you again!



In summary, dad made it through the week on his own with the little kiddos, I got to go garage sale shopping (if you havent tried this, let me tell you its the best) I appreciate my girls listening to me and behaving while mom was away and most of all I want to thank my wife for helping me realize the amount of work it takes to tend to these little girls needs and lives I love them a ton but I think I will leave the mom duties to the mom "Amy" from now on. We are sure glad to have mom home and we decided no more long vacations away from eachother, well I mean unless next time you take the girls with you that is...





Blog posts to look forward to in the future:



*Unexpected trip to Omaha....



*Potty Training Twins 101...



*Pennsylvania or bust...





Friends and Family, let me know what you thought about my first blog post!

4 comments:

the Petterson Family said...

Great documentation! Happy birthday to the girls and we are looking forward to your blog posts!

Monk Family said...

Yay Chad! I think all Dad's should have the opportunity to be mom for a while, I hope Steve gets his chance sooner rather than later. I remember the times hanging out with my Dad and siblings while Mom was at camp or visiting her parents. We always had a blast! Until it was the day before mom got home and it was a crazy day of cleaning to get the house presentable again. Sure miss you guys-love you all tons and tons!

Hooker Family said...

You are such a good dad! It's sounds like you guys had too much fun without Amy around!

The Congers said...

It sound like such a fun week and it took me a minute into the reading to realize what was happening, and that Chad was writing the post. It was a good post, me and Ky always like more pictures less words but there was a lot to explain and talk about with all the crazy fun things you stuffed into one week! We love seeing whatever you guys put on here we miss everyone and love seeing pictures and getting updates, haha this turned into a really long comment.