Thursday, June 2, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa

We had a great time last week when my Mom and Dad came to visit us in Iowa! They made a big road trip of it! Driving from Seattle to Des Moines they stopped to see (or tried to see) some cool things- one of them being Mt. Rushmore! I haven't been there yet but I really would like to go sometime. While they were here we did some really fun things! Be warned. I took a TON of pictures.

The first stop was Winterset in Madison County Iowa. We went to see the bridges and this happens to be the only picture of them I took.


There were too many other fun things to take pictures of- like my Dad and Ellie Dancing.


Stopping by the birthplace of John Wayne. Chad even got a magnet (we get magnets for all the different places we go) that says "A mans gotta do, what a mans gotta do".


Lily and Ellie's love this little castle in City Park. They kept looking for "Punzel" or Rapunzel.




I love this one!



Dad might have sent this to all my sister.


haha and here is me taking a picture of him taking that picture. It's like inception.



My cute Mom and Dad




Our next stop was the zoo. We got to see one of the tigers really close up, the gibbons were making their funny monkey noises, Lily picked about every weed she could get her hands on (not to mention a few that weren't weeds) but the best time of the day was the train.




Lily gets so excited. It cracks me up every time.



We also fed to goats and the lama. Ellie is fine with it as long as she knows they are on the other side of the fence.



This one is for Aunt Katie! Thanks for the dresses!



My Mommy with some pretty flowers.



Grandpa shaking the rope bridge.



That night we just hung out, loved on the girls, and watched a few episodes of Shaun the Sheep.







The next destination was Nauvoo, Illinois. On the way we stopped to see another great Iowa site.


again for your comparison...




:)


I don't think this is what the picture is supposed to look like Dad...


So funny...





We got to see so many cool church history sites!


We went on the wagon ride,




This is a picture is the start of the trail of tears. This is the street where the LDS pioneers left this city they built to cross the Mississippi river to start their long trip west.




Lily tied up with her "lasso"




Learning about how to build a wagon wheel.





Lily was amazed with the blacksmith.



Ellie reading her literature in the visitor center.




This is in the Monument to women garden- the sculptures are really beautiful!




Last year when we went to Nauvoo Chad found a great little house called The White House that we stayed in again this time. It is really cheap and has a kitchen. Another plus is it also has a hot tub! Yes the girls are naked I forgot their swimsuits, and no the boys aren't naked it just looks that way ;)






Oh technology, how I love you.



time for bed.




While my parent did a session at the temple we went and played near the Mississippi.






At the brick yard!




I love all the brick houses. It is also fun seeing the parts of the houses that were original!




The missionaries are so fun. They stay in the houses there and learn so much! They rotate to all the different areas and they get to be in the shows they put on. I say they get to but some weren't all the excited about the singing and dancing :)



What a handsome boy.






The girls loved the pioneer games they have set up for the kids! They got to dress up and play in the little houses!




Ellie was all about the house. She made a bunch of friends to play with.





Lily rang this bell pretty much the whole time.




We went in the Red Brick Store and Lily and Ellie practiced giving talks for when they are in Sunbeams next year.






This is my Mom's favoirte house in Nauvoo the Heber C. Kimbal house.



Across the street from the temple


Now my parents are on the long way home through Jackson County, Missouri, then on to Wyoming to see more of the Mormon trail. They might even make a quick stop in Yellowstone as they make their way. We had a great time and are so happy they could come visit. The girls are already asking when they are coming back!



6 comments:

Laura said...

Cute! Yeah that picture that dad sent to your sisters. EVERYONE got it. BUT ME. How rude. Katie showed me it though, thanks dad! :) Cute pictures, thanks for playing with my mom and dad for me, they get a little bored with just me! And thanks for sending them home too, I miss them!

Mindy said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Mitch and I were just talking about how fun it would be to do our own road trip to Iowa. I LOVE Nauvoo, and want to go back!

Kari Cheney said...

how fun. grandparents are the best. That hot tub picture makes me laugh, it totally looks like everyone is skinny dipping, hehe.

Monk Family said...

Looks like you had tons of fun! I'm glad you got to see your parents, I know it's hard to be away from your family. Sure miss you and your sweet little girls!

Kara said...

So much fun. I would love to take the kids to Navoo. Hopefully we get to do it soon some day. Glad that you had a good time with mom and dad. The girls are getting so big.

The Congers said...

Cute love all the pictures, it looks sooo fun!